WEEK 4

… 100 sketch page hand in day!

Despite all of my stress in trying completing all 100, it was reassuring to discover most were in the same boat as me in choosing quality over quantity and interesting to find out that some people had only done as little as 6.  Reflecting on this, although I did my best, I definitely think I could have tried to do more than 30-40. I was also disheartened at the time to see such high quality of work that had been produced by some people. I think I’m currently sat somewhere in the middle of the quality/quantity balance. Moving forward, I’m going to keep practicing my sketching and rendering as well as the speed in which I produce these pieces of work so that hopefully, next time, I’m sat somewhere at the top.

After this, we sat in our groups with our sketches and attempted to narrow the piles down into our best 20 designs each. This proved difficult at times as some of the concepts were still so sketchy. As a group, we then had to further narrow these down to our best 10. This part was more difficult, it definitely helped me learn how to part with some of my ideas and not become too precious in order to concentrate my time and effort on the best ones only. It was interesting to see that some of our favourite designs were very similar! In order to then narrow our combined top 30 ideas down to 10, we used a method called the matrix evaluation where we compared and scored our ideas against an existing product on the market that would fit our brief best. We chose an elderly person’s pole aid off amazon to compare with as we couldn’t really find anything existing that fit our brief (which I suppose is a good thing suggesting that we’ve been successful finding a gap in the market).  So, using the matrix evaluation, we narrowed this down to our top 10 ideas to take forward into the development stage.

In terms of sketching and rendering this week, we continued from where we left off last week however, this time paying closer attention to how products are held together and their details such as buttons and switches. We learned about bosses, webs and split lines including where they tend to go and their purpose. This was made easier to understand by analysing a drill in its two halves. We then moved on to learn how you would draw these and communicate their purposes and positioning’s in terms of form and function in our drawings as well as how you render them. This all of a sudden made my drawings appear far more technical and functional – it further bought them to life.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s